Pages

Friday, July 2, 2010

Monie's Redfish Courtbouillon

While my Grandmother Lasseigne (Monie) is respected for her many cajun dishes, redfish courtbouillon may be her most famous feast. This one REALLY puts asses in the seats! Angela and I took on Monie's recipe to marvelous results! It was no Monie courtbouillon, but I think we're well on our way.

A "redfish courtbouillon" is a combination of dark roux, sauteed tomatoes with other vegetables, and redfish. The redfish going into today's pot were purchased at the Westbank Seafood Market back in May (see that photo slideshow here). This dish requires LOTS of chopping, focused attention on the roux, and lots and lots of low/medium heat simmering, so if you're going to attempt a courtbouillon, prepare for a multiple-hour kitchen experience.


vegetables to saute


cooking it down


roux stage #1


 
 roux stage #2


roux stage #3 (dark as a penny)

mushrooms and veggies cooking down


redfish chunks


Redfish Courtbouillon!

If you want to give this dish a try, send me a message, and I'll send you the recipe!

1 comment:

  1. Taylor, too damn much work. A courtboullion is nothing more than a poaching tomato sauce. Not difficult. The roux (?? dark for courboullion - I always make a really light roux), add onions, garlic, celery, bell pepper, and mix with roux until wilted. Add some stock (homemade if you have) and tomatoes. Cook down with mushrooms. When almost finished, add shrimp & crab meat. Should be red and kind of liquid. Then add fish steaks (can leave bones in, but I usually don't) and don't stir. Poach until cooked just rotating pot around under. I like to make a big batch of the sauce and then pull out a little container and add the fish. Saves a lot of time. This is usually a really quick dish. Yours looks really good. Please explain the olives - I've never seen that in a courtboullion before. ?A family tradition? I'd like to hear your gram's reason for using them.

    ReplyDelete