Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

La Septima Cafe, A Taste of Old Ybor

Angela and I traveled down to Brandon, FL (right near Tampa) this weekend to visit my new baby niece. While there, my brother in law and his wife took us to a wonderful "authentic Spanish" restaurant called La Septima Cafe.  The sign out front reads, "La Septima Cafe, A Taste of Old Ybor". Ybor is a historic neighborhood near Tampa, founded in 1880 by cigar manufacturers, and inhabited by immigrants from Spain, Cuba, and Italy. These folks brought more than their cigar-rolling skills - they also provided the area with a fantastic culinary tradition.

The establishment was voted "Best of Brandon" for 15 years in a row! Some of the featured dishes are Breaded Palomilla Steak, Jaiba Enchilada, Arroz con Pollo, Ropa Vieja, Picadillo Con Papas Fritas, Cuban Sandwich, Palomilla Milanesa, Lechon Asado, and the dish that I ordered, Boliche Ybor.

Boliche Ybor is described as "Tender slices of eye round roast that has been stuffed with chorizo and baked in a light tomato sauce." I added yellow rice, Platinos Maduras, and their homemade Sangria to my meal. I finished up with "un buchito", a shot of Cuban espresso!! Everything was delicious, and I'm sure we'll be back to La Septima on our next visit to the Tampa area.


Boliche Ybor and Yellow Rice

Platinos Maduras - friend plantain

"un buchito" - shot of Cuban espresso

No comments:

Post a Comment