Pages

Monday, April 26, 2010

Free Loquats / Japanese Plum / Muspalus! Now what?

As I biked up to the house after work today, I noticed that my neighbor had chopped down a few large branches of his Loquat tree. Loving Loquats, Japanese Plumb, or Muspalus (sp) as we called them in Lafourche, I inquired about the fate of the forsaken branches. My neighbor's handyman assured me that they were going to sit there until sanitation intervened, so I ran to the house, grabbed a bag, and started picking.

Now I have about four to five pounds of Muspalus (pronounced MOOSE-pa-LOOSE). I could just peel them and eat them raw as I have all my life, but I'm wondering if there isn't some potentially amazing Muspalus recipe out there.

Any ideas people? I ran into another neighbor while plundering the fallen fruit tree branches. He said that he once made "a pretty damn tasty cobbler out of the stuff".


1 comment:

  1. There was the sweetest woman back home who used to make a butter with these (she also made popcorn balls for Halloween - awesome lady). Sorry...I don't have her recipe, and I know making jams, jellies, and butters can be complicated. hmmm...I know she used cinnamon.

    A cobbler or crumble would be easier and still tasty. I'm interested to see what ya do. :)

    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete